Law Offices of Gita B. Kapur and Associates logo
Book an appointment with Law Tap
Make a payment with Law Pay. MasterCard, Visa, Discover and American Experess accepted

Get immediate help with your immigration issue.
Call 213-784-6598 to arrange a time to talk

Law Offices of Gita B. Kapur and Associates logo
Book an appointment with Law Tap

Get immediate help with your immigration issue.
Call 213-784-6598 to arrange a time to talk

Lawful Permanent Residency (Green Card)

Opportunities For Obtaining Legal Permanent Resident (LPR) Status

Depending on your circumstances, you may be able to apply for a green card, allowing you to live and work in the U.S. indefinitely, at several points in time:

  • Before coming to the U.S. (through consular processing)
  • After arriving in the U.S. by any method and then petitioning for asylum
  • After coming to the U.S. on a visa (such as an employment visa or a fiancé[e] visa)
  • After arriving in the U.S on nonimmigrant visa (tourist visa, fiancé visa, student visa, H1B, J1, etc.) or you are covered under 245(i) you may be able to obtain lawful permanent resident status via Adjustment of status.

After you have lived in the U.S. with a green card for five years (or three years if married to a U.S. citizen), you may qualify to apply for citizenship.

Types Of Eligibility For Adjustment of status (Green Card)

Various pathways may qualify a non-U.S. citizen to become eligible to apply for a Adjustment of Status (green card), including:

Through family relationships:

  • As the spouse of a U.S. citizen
  • As an unmarried child, under age 21, of a U.S. citizen
  • As a parent of a U.S. citizen who is at least 21 years old
  • As a son or daughter of a U.S. citizen (married and/or of age 21 or older)
  • As a spouse, unmarried child under age 21, or older unmarried child of a lawful permanent resident (LPR)

Through employment:

  • As a skilled worker with extraordinary abilities
  • As a skilled worker with professional qualifications
  • As an unskilled worker
  • As a physician with a national interest waiver
  • As an immigrant investor

As special immigrants:

  • As a religious worker
  • As a special immigrant juvenile Status (SIJS)
  • As an international broadcaster
  • As a retired officer from one of various international organizations

Through refugee or asylum status

As relief from human trafficking, violence or abuse:

  • With a T visa or U visa
  • As a VAWA self-petitioner (a victim of violence against women, a designation also available to men)

These lists are not intended to be comprehensive, but they highlight some of the most often used categories of eligibility.

Whatever circumstances in your life may make you eligible for a green card, you can move your case forward most efficiently with the help of an experienced immigration law attorney. The Law Office of Gita B. Kapur & Associates is an established firm with a solid reputation for getting results for clients. Our clients consider us to be responsive. We have received hundreds of very positive reviews online, through thank you letters and through other mediums.

We can help you determine your eligibility, prepare a compelling application, prepare for an interview with a USCIS officer, and appeal your case if you are denied. If a minor criminal conviction stands in your way, we may be able to remove that obstacle for you through post-conviction relief.

Why Contact Us?

Without our help, you may spend extra time, effort and money and you may experience frustrations and obstacles that we could resolve for you. With experienced legal advice, you can prevent errors, delays and denial for reasons that you could have avoided. For these reasons, we invite you to discuss your permanent residency goals with one of our lawyers as soon as possible.

To reach our Los Angeles law offices, call 213-784-6598 or complete our easy online form. Let’s talk over your green card aspirations and opportunities together.

My legal services are competitively priced, and I offer payment plans to clients in Los Angeles and surrounding areas in California, including Long Beach, Pasadena, San Fernando Valley, Santa Monica, Riverside, San Bernardino, Santa Ana, and Palmdale who qualify.

We speak a variety of languages to ease the process for our immigrant clients, including Spanish, Hindi, Punjabi, Zapotec, Armenian, and Urdu.

We welcome clients of all nationalities and native languages.